About the Foundation
Improve the lives of all Californians, particularly the underserved, by making health care accessible, effective, and affordable, and by ending domestic violence.
1. Create greater access to health care and domestic violence services by:
- Generating more service options for the most vulnerable
- Cultivating strong, sustainable provider organizations led by skilled leaders
- Fostering consumer-informed services and solutions
2. Support system-level improvements in the healthcare and domestic violence safety nets by:
- Enabling data-driven management and performance improvement
- Fostering broad collaboration and integration among safety net providers
- Spurring system-wide delivery innovations
What We Do
Our funding ranges from providing unrestricted core support, to advancing thought leadership and research, to technical assistance, and beyond. Every dollar spent works to move California towards a future in which everyone is free of domestic violence and has access to high-quality, affordable health care. Watch the video, Ally for Change, to learn more about Blue Shield of California Foundation, its programs, and grantees.
View a visual representation of the Foundation's 2013 giving.
Our Corporate Parent
Blue Shield of California Foundation is funded entirely by contributions from Blue Shield of California, a mission-based, not-for-profit health plan founded by physicians in 1939. We are a private foundation that shares the corporation's core mission of providing everyone access to quality health care. Foundation grantmaking is approved by a distinguished Board of Trustees.