To be eligible for a Blue Shield of California Foundation grant, organizations must also meet the following requirements:
- Have a mission consistent with the mission and goals of Blue Shield of California Foundation.
- Be a nonprofit and tax-exempt organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code (IRC) and defined as a public charity under 509(a) 1, 2, or 3 (types I, II, or a functionally integrated type III), or a governmental, tribal, or public entity.
- Have a reputation for credibility and integrity
- Primarily serve Californians
What We Don't Fund
- Sponsorships for special events, competitions, athletic events, or conferences
- Direct services to patients or clients, including medical, dental, counseling, specialty, or social services
- Research on specific diseases or conditions (e.g., Alzheimer’s, cancer, diabetes)
- Capital construction or endowment campaigns
- Equipment purchase, implementation, or maintenance (e.g., electronic health record systems, mobile health vans)
- Individual outreach and enrollment activities for public health insurance programs
- Television or film production
- Individuals’ insurance coverage or medical expenses
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Political causes, candidates, organizations, or campaigns
- 509 (a) 3, type III supporting organizations that are not "functionally integrated"