About Blue Shield of California Foundation
Blue Shield of California Foundation (the Foundation) is one of the largest healthcare grantmaking organizations in California. The mission of the Foundation is to improve the lives of all Californians, particularly the underserved, by making health care accessible, effective and affordable, and by ending domestic violence. In 2017, the Foundation will award over $25 million in grants to nonprofit organizations, and conducted strategic research and program development.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Advance Blue Shield of California Foundation’s Goals and Program-Related Work: Participate as a thought partner with program and communications staff to help develop, support, and promote goals through creative communications, including message development, storytelling, blogging, social media, and media outreach.
Audience Development and Outreach: Develop strategies and activities to identify and engage target audiences on the Foundation’s goals. Assist in identification of key contacts outside the Foundation who can be instrumental in partnering and helping to carry the messages of the Foundation. Use Salesforce and other analytic tools to track progress, advance goals, and to monitor effectiveness of engagement approaches.
Publications Support: Serve as first point of contact for program staff on grantee publications; work with program staff and communications team members and grantees to advise them on audience and help determine key messages for publications. Work with staff and external PR firms to establish release dates and create and oversee dissemination strategy.
- Media Relations: Collaborate with PR firm to advise on relationships with journalists and bloggers. Provide input on firm’s responses to media inquiries, story pitches, and manage messages in the public arena. Help program staff to prepare to speak with press, as needed.
- Foundation-wide Communications: Support the creation of strategies and tactics to enhance the Foundation’s brand and identity. Write and/or edit promotional materials for online and print use.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Public Health, Public Policy, or related field.
- A minimum of seven years of work experience in a communications-related field such as public relations, communications consulting, and/or journalism.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in communications strategy development, as well as project and client management.
- A minimum of five years’ experience developing multimedia and other innovative approaches for communicating information and social change messages.
- Some travel required.
- A minimum of five years’ experience with digital marketing, including website, email, and social media platforms.
- A minimum of five years’ experience and comfort working customer relations management tools.
Knowledge and Skills:
Passion for the Foundation’s mission is essential and knowledge of health and/or social services is preferred.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects in collaboration with multiple points of contact, including in-house staff, consultants, and other outside vendors.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills and demonstrated ability to translate technical information and complex concepts and statistics into accessible, audience-specific materials.
- Knowledge and ability to establish collaborations and strategic partnerships to support promotion and dissemination of research and other projects.
- Ability to effectively work with and provide counsel to peers, senior management, leadership teams, and advisory groups.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, and able to handle and prioritize multiple projects.
- Knowledge of, and contacts with, the news media is desirable.